Blind fold comparisons

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 00:27:02 -0500

> My point is that its not just a matter of  << a good bass >>,
but one in
> relationship to the piano overall, and one in relationship to
the
> acoustics of the room its being used in.

Yes that is my point also.  How the piano sounds where ever it is
and in comparison to other pianos.  So I have always dreamed of a
blindfold comparison not only with the listeners but with the
players.  What an experience to go blindfolded through the exhibit
hall and  play for just 30 seconds the various pianos with another
blindfolded player. I know it sounds short but I think what would
happen is that the players would go back and forth between 3 or 4
pianos in the end of those they deem  "best".  Listening while
playing, listening while being played close, and  further away.
etc etc.   Hopefully this would be the day when the exhibit hall
is opened to the musical public with a number of piano teachers,
and their students along with professors, under grad and grad
candidates, music union members, pros and aspiring owners of
expensive grands.  Of course they might want to participate also
in the "blind judgement".     ----rm