Virtual Capstan

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 15:26:56 -0400

At 12:09 PM -0400 6/21/03, Mark Davidson wrote:
>This was my initial reaction.  You do less work at the front
>of the key but the same amount at the back of the key.  How's that possible?
>Yet he's got the experimental data to show it works.

The data you refer to is static, and is merely a reading of how the
gravitational pull on each side of the key is balanced across the
fulcrum.

>I think the answer lies in that fact that the magnets, like a spring, have
>stored energy that is released as the wippen and key move apart
>which does some of the
>work. This energy is stored again as the parts move back together.
>It wouldn't
>work if the distance between the parts were not changing.

I don't know how it works for magnets, but for springs, barely 8% of
of stored force is relieved at the top of the wippen's swing. The way
to release 100% of the stored energy is to unhook the spring. With
magnets, the force doesn't exist (excuse me, it doesn't become strong
enough to be noticeable) until you bring like poles of two magnetic
fields close enough. That doesn't sound like a force-storing system
to me. Stored energy is at work however with inertia and gravity, as
well as deformation of springs.

As far as the wippen and key moving separately (de-coupling), that
needs to be studied.

At 7:38 PM +0200 6/21/03, Richard Brekne wrote:
>Ron Nossaman wrote:
>
>>  >Then put a 45 gram weight on the front of the key and begin to screw down
>>  >the whippen magnet so that it gets closer and closer to the key. At some
>>  >point the key will just start to move on its own.
>>
>>  And as it does, the distance between the magnets increases and the touch
>>  weight does too as the magnet repulsion lessens. The down pressure from the
>>  repulsion on the back of the key lessens too, but to a lesser degree
>>  because of the leverage differences.
>
>Actually, the distance between the magnets is so stable that I dont think you
>can notice this with conventional UW/DW measurements. Tho there is a slight
>difference in the amount of vertical rise in the whippen at this
>point compared
>to the key at this point to be sure. In anycase...it doesnt affect the motion
>characteristics of either measurement noticebly.

Let's be clear about this, guys. When, Ric, you say that at some
point the key will start to move on its own, I'm assuming that the
key is moving downwards, meaning that the magnetic repulsion has
reduced the load on the "bricks'n'mortar" capstan to the point where
the FW plus the 45g deadweight can overcome the DW. At that point,
with the front half of the key moving downwards, the back half with
its "two" capstans and their load would be moving upwards. This is
not where I would expect to find the gap between magnets expanding.
Actually, I would expect to find that until a certain point is
velocity, gravity and the magnetic repulsion would have no trouble
finding a stable balance.

If, Ron, you're thinking of motion of the key which might occurs as
the repulsive force grows strong enough to force the key down into
the backrail cloth (showing an upwards motion which a dial indicator
could read), that may be true. However, as the increasing repulsion
tries to relieve itself, at a certian point it will have out-run the
squash in the backrail felt and balance rail punchings, and at which
the repulsion will have a far easier time pushing upwards on the
wippen (instead of downward on the key). That's the point at which
Ric gets the signal that UW has been overcome.

Let me know if there's something I have to write on the blackboard 100 times.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"When writing a mental note, first procure a mental piece of paper"
     ............mental graffitti