Virtual Capstan

Mark Davidson mark.davidson@mindspring.com
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 21:25:32 -0400

> Bill Ballard wrote:
>
> That doesn't sound like a force-storing system
> to me. Stored energy is at work however with inertia and gravity, as
> well as deformation of springs.

Had to run this one by my dad, a retired theoretical chemist.
His answer (after a long pause) was that when magnets are
pushed together, the energy is stored  in deformation of
the magnetic fields of the magnets.  Not exactly obvious.

Also suggested using electromagnets.  Then you could just turn
a dial, up the current and presto-chango you have a lighter action.
(Actually this idea has potential.)

And if you get lost you can use the piano to find magnetic north.

-Mark