key bushing removal- choice of glue/Tom Driscoll

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:51:55 -0700

Tom,
Yes, Wallpaper Remover will cause an adhesion problem on re-gluing.
Especially if you don't let it dry completely before putting the new
bushings in. DAMHIK! I've found that if WPR is used, you should let it dry
at least 48 hours, to be safe.
As for using PVC-E to glue key bushings, I personally wouldn't. It takes too
long to set up. It takes forever to get sufficiently hard, which allows the
bushings to "squirm", which in turn makes it impossible to ease correctly
and wears out the bushings faster. It can be removed almost as easily with
heat/steam, but it is a bit more messy than hide glue.
Hide glue will bond better to whatever concoction Young Chang used to glue
the original bushings in, IMO.
My suggestion is remove with heat/moisture/steam. Blow the dust off of your
glue pot. Mix up a batch of good quality glue and get back the basics. <G>
Hide glue is soooooo easy to use, I fail to see why other glues are used.
But, that's just me.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)