Virtual Capstan

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 01:09:34 -0700

Bob,

In your analogy, it wouldn't matter if you lifted the sack of
sugar directly or by means of repelling magnets because there's no
difference in leverage.

I believe the idea is not that the magnets are not supplying extra
force, nor removing weight as wippen assist springs do, but that they
are shifting the position of capstan and heel which changes the action
ratio. Lower ratio equals less DW. It remains to be seen if  there is
any advantage in actual playing. If Richard is getting favorable DW/UW
measurements, and I don't doubt that he is, that's one thing, but it's
only a theoretical point.

Tom Cole