Virtual Capstan

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 20:35:12 +0200

Ron,

I agree, it works because it change the leverage, having a magnet in
the whippen would not change it, and then we should be in the 10lbs
bag comparison.

It is lessening the friction a lot probably, that may change under
real play modes, while I don't understand how the magnet force act
verse the inertial mass of the parts (what are the elements involved
?)

A couple magnets in the whippen rail and whippen lever should more
work as assist springs (and with the same pitfall in regard of the
help given only at the beginning of the stroke).

I bet that only once installed in a real action one can evaluate what
it really gives, but if it help to break the initial inertia that is
yet great, as this is what pianist tend to complain the most.

The effort is given in the same direction of the whippen lever spring
also, so is the lesser friction at the heel  meaning more friction at
the roller/lever interface, or does it stay the same under the same
global force applied ?

I wonder if a magnet is not exactly acting in the most optimum way
against inertia lessening it far better than a spring because of its
permanence.

how is the friction acting under load ? if the friction is less to
begin with it may well stay at lower level for all the stroke.

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.

PianoTech
17 rue de Choisy