Striking distance Question was curious Steinway- Lauter Humana

Harry Pickett hjpickett@cablenet-va.com
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 20:29:28 -0400

Thanks
I been reading Reblitz and checking the archives, where can I find more
detailed information on this.
I really appreciate your response.

Harry

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Keith Roberts
Sent: Sunday, June 22, 2003 8:22 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Striking distance Question was curious Steinway- Lauter
Humana

I see the confusion, strike distance, I took that to mean blow distance
or
the distance from the tip of the hammer to the strings. Bob Davis wrote
just
recently about the jack to hammer butt angle. I think that should
determine
where the hammer rest rail is. Then from the desired key dip and
leverage of
that action you determine the blow distance and that will give you the
bore
or strike distance.
I think it might be easier to guess using a treble hammer that has some
felt
left on it but for $50 what do you expect. Don't forget about the rake
angle. It might be a pain to shorten all the shanks to achieve the same
strike point.
Keith Roberts