Pin Driving Fluid, was: New Screws in New Pinblock

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:14:22 EDT

In a message dated 22/06/03 10:54:02 PM, mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

<< Ok, from what I've seen so far, pdf widens your margin for error in

> producing an acceptable job. Like everything else, there's no absolute

> binary criteria, only lots of variable factors to weigh. If, with the block

> you use, and the pins you use, and the methods you employ, your results are

> too unpredictable to meet your personal criteria, use the pdf. >>

Hmmmmm all this may be true but it does not address the primary reasons, IMO,
for the use of pdf (if you think we are speaking of Adobe Acrobat being used
in drilling/pinning pinblocks then I can't hep ya! :).
 My use of pdf comes from several benefits, i.e.,
1. Pins drive easier (less stress on me and the block?)
2. Pins have an 'initial' lower torque value (allowing for much easier
chipping/multiple tunings. Much more gentle on my arms shoulders= less stress.)
3. Incidence of jumpy/skippy pins much reduced.
4. When pdf finally dries out (48/96 hrs) the torque values are very similar
to the same block pinned without using pdf.

 So if you, generic you Ron :-), haven't tried a few samples using pdf, on
some scrap block, don't dismiss the use of same.......................
Jim Bryant (FL)