Cap/Heel Coupling, WAS Virtual Capstan

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 16:20:37 -0400

I found a roll of adhesive -backed aluminum (0.007") in a far corner
of the shop. Stretched across the heel cushion, the DW/UW is 54/24.
(Without, they are 58/27: go figure...) Not only that, but applied to
the backcheck leather, it checks easily without slipping.

The simplest set-up for signaling decoupling is the tone on my
continuity checker, but I could set up an indicator bulb as well. (I
was also given the suggestion that I could soak the wippen cushion in
salt water and read resistance. This would have given me a continuous
curve of quality of the coupling, which with the proper equipment
could be captured by a PC, and correlated with capture info about the
key stroke.)

As far as actuating the key, apparently the best-suited power source
is pneumatic. Solenoids are usually not made for quick in/out
excursions, and I'd want to run up to 15 strokes/second. There was
also talk For this first stage of R&D, I'm staying manual.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

".......true more in general than specifically"
     ...........Lenny Bruce, spoofing a radio discussion of the Hebrew
roots of Calypso music