Restringing

Richard Strang rstrang@pa.inter.net
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 18:55:29 -0500

The rest of the story,
   I went to inspect the piano today. It's a 1969 variety Balwin M with the
weird hitch pins. It sits in the living room of the  United States
Ambassador's mansion on La Crest hill. Other technicians have made a mess
out of it. Most of the tuning pins are the blued kind, but someone didn't
have the right kind when they found a loose pin, so they put in a few nickel
plated ones. The fellow never learned how to shim. Someone, and I think I
know who, replaced a bass string with a universal type and never took the
copper winding off at the hitch pin end, so the copper runs through the
bridge pins. Otherwise, the tenor and treble strings don't really look that
bad.
   Anyway, I want to thank you all for your input. I think I'm going to pass
up the job, even though I could most probably do it better than any of the
other fellows that are around. Getting in and out of the Ambassador's house
is a pain in the neck, and I just can't see making a mess there. I don't
want to get into any trouble I can't get out of either. So, thanks again.

Richard
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Isaac OLEG
  Sent: Monday, June 23, 2003 1:54 PM
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: RE: Restringing

  And if you have a Palm Nailer you can take a little compressor with you, a
friend have tested a little one and was allowed to drive 15 pins before the
engine runs.

  I hardly can envisage restringing without my Palm Nailer now.

  And that perfect pin's height....

  Cool

  Isaac OLEG

  Entretien et réparation de pianos.