OT Virus

e pianolist@egolnik.dyndns.org
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 02:14:35 -0400

Hi, List

I didn't get the virus email (probably because I haven't posted before),
but as an IT Systems tech I thought some of you might enjoy reading
these info bulletins from McAfee and Norton regarding the "address book"
tricks... FWIW I know on our systems (Outlook), if a send-all email goes
out(including the bogus email address,) I may get a bounce for the bogus
address, but all the rest of the folks in the address books are still
getting the virus email.

- Ernie Golnik

-------------
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trick.address.bo
ok.entry.html
Does creating an "!0000" or other "trick" address book entry prevent the
spread of viruses?
Last Updated on: November 13, 2002 12:57:49 PM PST

Messages that claim that you can prevent the spread of email worms and
Trojans by adding a special "trick" entry as the first contact in your
email address book appear fairly frequently. Among the "names" that they
suggest that you add to your address book are:

!0000
AAAAAA

The usual claim is that this will, in one way or another, stop the
threat from spreading. While these are in the strictest definition of
the word, not hoaxes (although the AAAAA version, with its
recommendation to "Pass this on to all your friends" is close), like
hoaxes, they should be ignored and not forwarded.

The following are two versions of these email messages, followed by
Symantec Security Response recommendations.

<snip>

Symantec Security Response recommendations
Although this is technically not a hoax--in theory, it could work with a
few older worms and viruses--Symantec Security Response STRONGLY
recommends that you ignore it. You should not rely on such "fixes" to
prevent the spread of viruses, worms, and Trojans. Also, a hacker could
exploit some variants of this message to make you more susceptible to
loss of confidential information. The best defense against such threats
is to have a current version of Norton AntiVirus installed, make sure
that Auto-Protect is enabled, and update your virus definitions
frequently. In addition, if you are on a network, or if you have a
full-time connection to the Internet (such as cable or DSL), you should
use firewall software.

Information on Symantec products may be viewed at:
http://www.symantec.com/product/

-------------

http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99213
AVERT HOAX Notice!!

McAfee AVERT Labs would like to inform you of an email HOAX.

The !0000 Hoax is mainly circulating in the Netherlands. The e-mail
content contains a "trick" for stopping mass-mailing routines used by
e-mail worms.

The basic idea behind the "trick" is to create a dummy e-mail contact
entry which would be named so that it would be first in the address book
list, without an actual associated e-mail address. In theory, this
contact would come up before any valid contacts, and would fail when
accessed by a mass-mailer because it has no e-mail address thus giving
the user the option to stop the mass-mailing. This trick might work for
some mass-mailing worms, but it wouldn't stop the majority of worms
which use e-mail to spread.

We are advising users who receive the email to delete it and DO NOT pass
it on as this is how an email HOAX propagates.

<snip>

Again, if you receive this email delete it and DO NOT pass it on.

McAfee AVERT