Accu-Just Hitch Pins

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:35:57 -0700 (GMT)

> At 02:30 PM 6/25/03 , you wrote:

>> >  Baldwin's gage is 0.005" rise per inch per division, Lowell's is
>>0.003".
>>
>>If I understand correctly, then you are saying that Baldwin's
>>instructions are to set from .283 degrees (initial) bearing in the bass
>>up to .850 degrees bearing in the treble.  This seems low. As I
mentioned
>>before I was under the impression that these numbers were supposed to be

>>0.50 to 1.5 degrees.  I think I came by that impression from the
>>explanatory material that came with Baldwin's instructions.  I'll have
>>look for it.
>

>Here's the "clarification" right there at the bottom of the same data
sheet.
>>*Hand written note at bottom: 1 div. = .005" shim thickness with a
>>Baldwin Rocker Gage.

That certainly clears things up.

>But then the instructions for setting bearing on the Acu-Just pins with
>the rocker gage in the "BALDWIN BEARING GAGE" booklet say 0.015"-0.035"
>(0.85.-1.9.) in the bass, 0.0.015-0.025 (0.85.-1.4.) in the low tenor,
>0.005"-0.015" (0.28.-0.85.) in the mid tenor, 0.01:=0.02" (0.057.-1.13.)
>in the low treble, and 0.02"-0.04" (1.13.-2.26.) in the upper treble.
>
>All of which except the lower half of the mid tenor range, I would
>consider too high for these boards.

I agree.  0.283 - 0.850 seems too low and 0.85 - 2.26 seems too
high.  Looking at the bright side, pretty much anything you do will fall within the factory specifications.  As it happens I have a Baldwin with Acu-Just pins in the shop right now which I was planning to start stringing tomorrow.  So, this discussion has passed from the theoretical realm into the practical.  I thought I knew what I was doing, but now I'm not so sure.

FWIW, on the previous Acu-Just Baldwins that I have strung (two to date) I assumed that the Baldwin instructions were telling me to set bearing from 0.5 - 1.5 degrees.  These seemed like reasonable figures and so this is what I did.  They came out sounding good and the last time I checked were still sounding good.  I hope I didn't overload them.  I checked these bearing angles with a gauge according to the manufacturer's instructions (which I neither checked nor calibrated - now I'm wondering if that wouldn't also be a good idea).  Assuming that Baldwin knows more about their pianos than I do, I would rather use their specs than use what I
think seems reasonable.  Now I'm wondering if they even know what their specs are.

I'll check tonight to see if I can find anything to support my 0.5 - 1.5 degree bearing fantasy.

>So we have two official sets of information, both from the manufacturer,
>that contradict each other.
>

>First time that's happened.
>
>Ron N

A red letter day.  This certainly underlines your statement that these readings ought to be in degrees to prevent this confusion.

Phil F