tuning exam in US

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:09:46 -0500

On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 10:55  PM, Richard Moody wrote:

> What
> does recording their agreement onto a machine accomplish?

If a mistake in the examinee tuning is found through running aural
beat-rate checks, then the reference tuning on the ETD is used to
assign a score to the mistake. No points are deducted unless a tuning
error is aurally verified.

>  If they
> agreed without a machine on the "master tuning" why can't they do
> the same for the candidate tuning?

They can and they do, or no points are deducted.

> It makes sense to evaluate a machine tuning with or by a machine.
> But to evaluate an aural tuning,
> logically it should be done by aural tuners.

It is.

> That the Guild doesn't issue "aural certificates" or "machine
> certificates" I think is missing out on a significant issue of
> interest
> to many in the Music Industry and the private sector as
> well.

This has been suggested in the past (by me at one point), but PTG has
opted to stick with the present system which is a good one.

Kent Swafford