OT Virus

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 00:02:58 -0500

Sure would be nice if everyone just put a bogus address book
entry, that
wound up first  on the list, in their address books. That would
stop these
awful mass mailings in a flash!

The sophisticated virus chooses randomly from the address book and
some do not bother with the address book but look for addresses in
your inbox and or sent box.
    With such viruses, it is a myth that if you do not open
attachments you will not get a virus.  If you have a email program
that allows headers to generate popups you can get a virus just by
viewing an infected email.  It doesn't even have to have an
attachment.  It gets worse than that in special cases but not to
worry if you have ISP email filters.   My ISP will hold email with
suspicious html and octet streaming (whatever that is) code.  I
can view the email on their site far away from my machine.  I wish
it would hold email with pop up generating headers but maybe I can
request that.
    It is also a myth that anti virus software will remove any
virus from your system.  After some viruses change your registry
you or a technician must check for changes and delete them
yourself.  The major anti virus people have detailed instructions
on their web site on how to do this.   The best place is the email
software website as they are quick to put out particulars relating
to their different versions.
---rm