Regulating Rack Trouble (Korean Piano Rant)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:08:00 -0400

Working on this Young Chang action, I discovered a flaw with the Spurlock let-off rack/tool. I would adjust let-off of a couple section-end hammers, install the let-off rack, and then I could not get the shanks to click on the rack similar amounts. The problem with the rack is that is assumes consistent hammer boring. What apparently is needed is a zig-zag shaped rack that will accommodate hammers bored at varying positions.

Tip to tail boring varies easily by 2 mm on neighboring hammers. And then most (but of course, not all) of the hammers in the treble section were installed with about a 2-degree treble lean. I don't yank hammers off newer piano very often - will these come off cleanly with a Schaff-type hammer puller so that I can straighten them? Is the Renner hammer puller significantly better?

I thought YC had this kind of garbage worked out by 1990?

Terry Farrell