Newly Refinished Plate/Avoiding damage

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:05:36 -0700

Dear Thank You, (You did sign your post that way.<G>)

"Does anyone have any useful ideas for when one has refinished a plate how
to stop
damaging the paint surface when re-fitting and tightening the plate bolts"

As a rule I like to put brass washers between the plate(finish) and the
bolts. If the plate is held in with screws that are in a countersink, I have
my finisher tell me when he is going to shoot it and I'll be there with
countersink, etc., to ream the contact points for the screws. I also do the
duplex thingees, down to the iron. I posed this question several months ago
and got little or no response. That darned Lacquer will chip if you look at
it cross-eyed. I have gotten pretty good at touching up the little "divots"
that occur while stinging, etc. When setting the plate, (in-out-in-out,
etc.), it's a good idea to have canvas or nylon "slings" that won't mar the
guilding, etc.
Will that suffice Mr Thank You?<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)