older steinway grands

Sun, 29 Jun 2003 20:59:22 -0700

The old Steinway capstans (hex type) were sloped around 15 degrees, the
ones after that were sloped around 8 degrees.  I think the most efficient
angle for the capstan is so that it is perpendicular to the heel when the
key is halfway through the stroke.  Thus the angle will vary depending on
the angle of the heel that you are using.  Even a straight heel will tend
to set up best with a capstan at about 3 degrees.  Either way, the contact
will not be frictionless, and the amount of friction will be inversely
proportional to the degree of coincident convergence of the two arcs.  The
lowest friction will be achieved when the contact point coincides with the
point that is tangent to both circles.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net