Drying pinblock before stringing

Fri, 28 Feb 2003 17:56:15 -0800

I've not been following this entire thread but have read at least one
individual comment that when you add moisture to wood, a hole in the wood
will get larger.  This seemed to be accepted as fact.  I find this not only
a bit counterintuitive but contrary to my experience altogether.  Try
steaming a balance rail hole in a key and see if the balance rail pin is
easier or harder to get through.  I use this system to size the balance
rail hole frequently with good success when there is a slight pulley key
problem.  The steam swells the wood and the hole gets, yes, smaller!  Did I
miss something?

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net