deep thoughts: grey/gray

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 19:10:13 -0700

Wayne, I don't remember reading anything else that you've written to the =
list, perhaps you should introduce yourself.
   =20
    I live in Arizona, and 90% of the "Gray Market" pianos that end up =
here DO end up having major problems somewhere sooner or later. Usually =
sooner. I wouldn't want to be the tech who is sent out to one of these =
customers homes to "make the best of the situation for the people =
concerned." =20
    I feel that any dealer who is selling "gray market" pianos, and =
doesn't tell the customer that they're used, imported from offshore, =
etc., should have to answer for every one that self-destructs. I suggest =
you go to www.yamaha.com and read what they have to say about Yamaha =
pianos not intended for the North American market.  You won't get parts =
for them, even if you want to pay.=20
    If someone buys one of these, and they live in a relatively humid =
climate, and nothing bad happens to the piano, I would consider them to =
be lucky, nothing more.
    Kevin E. Ramsey, RPT
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wayne Hohle=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 6:50 PM
  Subject: Re:deep thoughts: grey/gray

  hi there
  i was tuning a piano the other day, a kawaii upright, and i was =
thinking 'what a
  nice grey market piano' nice finish, nice tone , nice pins, a good =
deal for these
  folks who said that they had it for a few years, ten or more.
  then i started thinking 'what is a grey market piano'?
  the folks who supply these pianos sell them all over world as used =
pianos, some
  good some not so good. the stores who buy them for resale, even here =
in north
  america either tell their customers or don't tell them that they are =
used pianos
  from off shore. some say, so i've been told , that they are not 'wet =
backs' and
  sell them as almost new pianos all shined up. some work and some don't =
and a good
  store will back it up and send out a good tech to make the best of the =
situation
  for the people concerned.