Leaving Darwin

Tony Caught caute@bigpond.com
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 22:49:12 +0930

Hi List,

After 18 years in Darwin Australia it is time to move on so in two weeks =
time I am leaving Darwin and going to Adelaide which is 3,000 K south.

The hard part is that over that period you build up a clientele of =
friends as well as customers (intermixed) and knowing that the only =
other piano tuner ? in town is in it for the money only and can't do his =
job anyway makes it even harder. I have, in Darwin over 700 customers =
that I have to say that I will come back a couple of times to keep =
everything going and hopefully another respectable tuner will come to =
town to look after it.

I am moving to Adelaide to start all over again which is quite a =
daunting task at the age of 64 but it is also exciting to be going back =
to where pianos are not steam baked in our super tropical climate. Its =
going to be an experience to work on and tune pianos that are in a =
relative stable climate again. (I might even remember what it is like to =
tune a piano in 40 minutes again).

So if I have been a little terse with some of you may understand that I =
have been confused about many things for some time however, this list is =
the closest thing I have had to guild meeting of piano tuners or just =
companionship from fellow trades persons that can joke (hopefully only =
occasionally) but carry on conversations, in and out of the trade, that =
are worthwhile.

Naturally I am carrying on as a subscriber but for the next few weeks I =
expect to be rather busy.

Look after

Tony