"Bambino Treatment"????

Greg Livingston pianotuner440@hotmail.com
Sun, 02 Mar 2003 07:05:16 +0000

Dear Joe,

As you know, Babe Ruth played for our local whipping boys, the
often-maligned Boston Red Sox, until he was sold to the Yankees in 1920 for
tons of cash, so their owner could invest in "No No Nanette".  It's still
painful to think about here!  Ask any tech from New England- thinking about
that trade, you get the same feeling as when you have to have a root canal,
or are called to fix an A=420  spinet with 6 broken hammers.

The story goes that Babe owned a house on a small pond in Sudbury, a  suburb
to the west of Boston. He had an old upright in the house, and during a
party, somehow rolled it onto a dock leading to the pond.  Either the piano
was the ultimate klunker or the Babe was really drunk;  anyway,  the piano
landed in the water.

The story was retold over the years, and a group of historians (and piano
techs, I guess) have been researching the story.  There was an article in
the Boston Globe last summer, and I'd try to find a link for you if my
computer skills were any more advanced than sending this email.  I'm sure
you could find it on-line.

Divers searched the bottom of this pond, and found evidence of a piano!  The
plan is to raise it up, restore it, haul it to Fenway Park, and maybe
somehow FINALLY rid our team of "The Curse Of The Bambino"  so we can
FINALLY win a World Series here for the first time since 1918.

It's almost spring, and we in New England are forever hopeful.  Anyway,
that's the story of the Bambino's piano.

Greg Livingston
baseball fan, proud Boston chapter PTG member (new associate)
Wellesley, MASS
pianotuner440@hotmail.com
Always remember September 11, 2001