what's with the new temperaments?(x post)

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 18:52:29 EST

Ron wrote:
<< > What's wrong with the old temperaments?

> They are the best efforts of technicians and theorists of the

time, created > with the available tools.

Greetings,
   While I don't think there is anything "wrong" with any temperament,  I
certainly believe that relying on any one of them for everything is to miss
out on a lot of beauty.  As technicians, we constantly decide what is worth
the effort and what is not, and since value means different things to each of
us, and there is no one answer.  Be that as it may, I think we all owe a huge
debt to Owen Jorgensen for supplying the tools necessary to open doors to
which many of us would have otherwise been oblivious. He provides a map and
the means to navigate.
   One value of the "old" temperaments is that they represent various
arrangements of tonal color that the composers could plausibly have been
using, and writing for.  So, even if a modern temperament appears to have
superior qualities, it may not more accurately recreate the composers in
tentions.  We may have "better" pigments than artists of yore, but they
doesn't necessarily improve the art.   Given that the use of a modern piano
rather than a fortepiano changes things in and of itself, we still should
consider the relative palettes of the composer's eras at least as a starting
point.  Comparing the musical results between tunings, both old and new, is
the only real way to create an informed opinion.
     This sort of adventure is not for everyone, but it needn't be dangerous
for those that wish to explore.  In return for the effort, using a variety of
temperaments can undo burn-out, create epiphanies in our customers, add an
exciting facet to our professional offerings, as well as lend a competitive
advantage to the tuners intrepid enough to take some risk. Even if a tech
decides that they don't like the sound of non-ET,  after the experience, they
will ususally hear the familiar ET with a new perspective.  I know that I
sure did.  In fact, I will say that after 15 years of tuning ET,  I didn't
really appreciate what its actual sound was until I had become familiar with
the alternatives.  Risks and gains are proportional, that has been proven
time and again.
    Finding a tuning that avoids creating problems (such as ET has done for
at least a century) is not necessarily the same thing as finding a tuning
which maximizes the musical experience.  While the former may be the easiest
way to ply ones trade, in light of recent research, experimentation, and
results, it can no longer claim superiority in all situations.  So, if one is
seeking maximum performance, I submit that a more productive direction is not
in seeking ever finer degrees of equality, but rather, matching contrast
(inequality) to the music in such a way as to create the greatest emotional
response in the educated listener.   Too much contrast is counter-productive,
and will create barriers, so it behooves the pioneer to err on the side of
caution as they progress.  It is easy to go farther, later, but almost
impossible to reclaim the pianist that is offended by a change.
    The new temperaments by B. Wendell and R. Koval are valuable in their
ability to improve upon ET in widening  areas of music.  (Any progress in
temperament design can be used to benefit our understanding of what works
best for a given situation. )  I have been listening to the Wendell Natural
on a Steinway A and it certainly has a sound of its own.  Many customers
wouldn't notice that it was not ET, but any tech certainly would.  I won't
characterize it from a technician's standpoint, but will wait until I can get
some pianists to critique its effect on the music, which is, imo, a more
valid test than a tuner's take on temperament. (apologies for awful
alliteration).
   It may be of some interest that Emanuel Ax recently gave a masterclass
here at Vanderbilt.  He was using a Steinway D tuned in the Broadwood's best,
the students were using another D in ET.  He was unaware that the pianos were
tuned differently, even after the same passages back to back.  The head of
the piano dept, who did know that I had tuned them differently, told me that
he couldn't tell a difference.   It just makes me wonder how important it
really is to get all those thirds rising exactly the same.  I do believe the
pianists, if not sensitized to the tempering, don't register more than
octaves and unisons!

    However, that isn't really what I wanted to post, here, so back to the
original reason:
When  R. Moody replies:
>>  Which "best efforts"?  The best way (imho) to understand them

is to  and examine in detail how and why these temperaments were

created.  >>

    Perhaps, but I prefer to understand the temperaments by how the musicians
and listeners react to them.  Much as I think the best way to understand a
banana is not to examine how to grow it, but rather, to eat one!  So, I think
a better understanding comes from playing music on them,(temperaments, not
bananas!) and comparing differing sounds and their effect on the music,
itself.
     The best feedback comes when nothing is said before the listening, and
the responses are  based strictly on what was heard. This lets me know when
the tuning goes "overboard" and creates,with its contrast, an interruption in
the musical flow.   If the thread of emotional involvement is broken, the
damage is done(which is what happens when a wrong note jars us out of our
reverie).  When that happens, I believe that I went too far from the
familiar.
     With audiences unfamiliar with non-ET tuning,  it doesn't take much more
than a 17 cent third to cause notice, but with those that have listened to a
lot of "Broadwood strength",  the intensity of a Kirnberger or WErckmeister
can be more often be appreciated.   I think this is where the techs'
experience really becomes valuable, in knowing what is appropriate not only
for the music, but the listeners involved, as well.  For me, that is the most
important thing in understanding temperaments, ie, how to use them to
maximize the musical experience.  And let's not forget that changing the t
emperament will cause the educated pianist to change how they interpret the
music, which is a huge factor in the final result, as well.

Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/