to repair or not to repair

HazenBannister@cs.com HazenBannister@cs.com
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 19:06:35 EST

Hi list,
  I had to tune for a concert last Thursday, at Erskine College,on a rental
Steinway D.
The pin on A 0 was major loose ( the piano was fairly new ).I did not drive
it,as it was not our piano,and no one was around to give me permission.If it
had been middle C,it would no been no question,but where it was ,I got it as
close as it would hold, and let it go. It was so loose, I did not think a
routine hit would do the job, and I didn't want to play with it too much,as
the piano was only delivered a few hours in advance, in the pouring rain.What
would some of you had done,as I know most available repairs,but not what the
dealer would have wanted.
Best,
Hazen Bannister