Pinblock Building

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 20:51:47 -0500

Has anyone on this list tried to build a pinblock? I've run into some disappointing results trying to cut thin veneers of stock for the pinblock. For boards where the grain is oriented lengthwise, I can cut very nice 2 mm veneers. But with a quarter-sawn 10-inch-wide board with grain oriented across the short axis, I seem to get erratic results.

- My Woodslicer blade from Highland Hardware just bogs down and will not cut through 10 inches of hard maple (when the grain is parallel to the blade - cuts the other stuff and smaller grain paralel to blade very well, but not this 10-inch wide stuff.

- I tried my big 1-1/4"-wide blade, and whereas is cuts fairly easily, the blade seems to wander a bit (sometimes more). Not happy with this.

Any bandsaw resaw maniacs out there? (With solutions?)

Terry Farrell