to repair or not to repair

J Patrick Draine draine@attbi.com
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 21:50:49 -0500

Makes me recall a time when I had a call for a rush tuning for
ProPiano. Bosendorfer rental brought into a chi-chi restaurant for New
Year's Eve. Tuning was pretty routine but there was a broken jack
tender which I proceeded to repair, and some minor hammer spacing while
I had the action out. Propiano declined to pay for the extra service:
it hadn't been approved by headquarters.
Lesson learned: always be sure that you charge enough for these kinds
of gigs (rush/rental/concert) that you can afford to do a bit extra.
After that I just shrugged my shoulders when one of their pianos showed
up with broken strings etc.
Live & learn. That was a long time ago. Plus, now I'll have my cell
phone with me.

Patrick Draine