Bechstein upright

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 00:19:09 EST

Hi folks,

I'm trying to help some friends value their 1916 Bechstein upright for
probable sale. I have absolutely no experience with these, don't live in an
area where there are many, and don't know how to begin. Pianomart has only
two, of which only one is even close in age and apparent condition. [$4500 -
I don't think they'd ever get that here.]

The piano is in clean original condition, great-looking soundboard and
bridges, action worn but playable, a couple of broken strings, acceptable
black finish.

It sounds much better than it should. I was amazed. Non-overstrung bass,
short bass backscale. LO-O-O-NG treble sustain, huge bass. I don't get it.
Maybe they knew what they were doing!

Anyway, can anyone from the Big City give me any advice on what to advise
them?

Thanks,
Bob Davis
Stockton, CA