what's with the new temperaments?(x post)

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 08:45:33 EST

<< R Moody asks back....

 Ed,,,,, If Emanuel Ax, ,, PLUS a professor at Vanderbilt can't

tell the difference between ET and what you tuned,  why  should we

(tuners) be concerned with tuning something other than ET?? >>

    Hmm,  I would phrase it another way, ie,  Why should we tuners be
concerned with exactness of tuning ET, at all?   But that is to miss the
exciting part, which is, 'what can the tuner do to improve the art'?

 To a hummingbird that sees the infra-red spectrum, the world is a very
differently colored place.

      The pianists didn't "see" the difference because they were not looking
for it!  I have seen this occur in numerous situations.  When I tell
pianists that there are two different tunings on side by side pianos, and ask
them to just tell me which sounds better, 99.9% of them have chosen the
Broadwood.  However, if nothing is said, less than half will detect a
difference.  What accounts for this?
   I think it is because THEY ARE NOT LISTENING to the actual sound.  They
are not sensitized to the effects.  They are hearing "elsewhere".   When the
traditional order of ascending dissonance is in place, music composed in the
WT era creates a natural "fit" and the lack of ET doesn't become a problem.
However,  if you put a temperament on there with the "colors" in all the
wrong places, they sure as the dickens sense something is amiss,(I found this
out with the DeMorgan).
    I blame this on 100 years of not having a choice, on a century spent
without key color.  Today's pianists are unaware of the out of tuneness that
makes ET so special.  They have become inured to the ever-present haze that
all those identical thirds hide behind.  Once sensitized to the contrasts in
a WT, it is amazing to them that they ever thought ET sounded good.  They
often wonder, "How did I ever like that sound!"
    I believe this ignorance in the piano world offers a golden opportunity
to today's technicians that want to invest some time and effort.  It is an
opportunity to deliver epiphanies to pianists.  It is an opportunity to
increase the emotional value of the music and to increase the attraction in
the piano, itself.  This can't be bad for our trade, can it?  With all the
competition for attention in the musical world today, anything that can help
the piano be attractive helps us,too.  Putting a Valotti or Young on a spinet
might make the difference in a childs desire to pursue it. Might not, but it
sure doesn't hurt.
   The techniques required are relatively simple, and with more than a few
years of trial and error, I believe I can offer a safe approach to
introducing pianist to the world of temperaments.  It has never been my goal
to "invent" new temperaments, nor  to prove anybody wrong in what they do,
but rather, to offer a way of using the research to improve what we do.  I
guess I would like to help tune the tuner's art.  Those that find solace and
comfort in the status quo will not care for this.
   Convincing tuners to change their methods has proven to be an incredibly
difficult task, (which makes me REAL suspicious of those that would suggest
the trade rapidly adopted ET in 1830!  Tuners don't make changes that fast
today.  I don't think those of yore would be more progressive, especially in
light of how long the traditions had been in place, how tonally dependant the
music was at the time, and how slow communication might have been without TV,
telephones, internet, or widespread published information. )
    I will be bringing the class "Temperaments for the 21st Century" back at
the Dallas convention.  It is listed as for all levels of tech, and everybody
is welcome to invest 90 minutes in giving  new perspectives a shot.
Regards,
 Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/