Gray Market Pianos/Bad for business

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 06:38:01 -0800

I have to disagree. Yamaha has no way of protecting the consumer from
dealers that sell their piano in a climate that they fall apart. They also
didn't manufacture enough parts because they didn't anticipate the
accelerated failure rate of pianos in abusive climates. By Yamaha's policy,
the tech can spread the word but even so when the customer  thinks they are
getting a deal they won't listen. However, a few are saved from having to
replace the pinblock after 10 years by their policy and so that is good.
Keith Roberts
----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2003 5:01 AM
Subject: Re: Gray Market Pianos/the tally

> Go to Yamaha web site:  http://yamaha.com/pianoserials/index.htm  and type
in serial number. They will reply with whether the piano was made for the
North American market.

> Some folks will say that you can tell it is a grey market if it only has
two pedals - well, yes, it is a grey market if only two pedals, but if it
has three, it still might be a grey market. Importers have available to them
an sostenuto upgrade kit that provides a full sostenuto and a three pedal
lyre.