top ten pianos

Vanderhoofven dkvander@joplin.com
Mon, 03 Mar 2003 16:51:08 -0600

At 01:00 PM 3/3/03, Del Fandrich wrote:

<Big snip!>
>By far the best Steinway D I've ever seen and heard was the Shigeru Kawai
>concert grand I encountered at the Kawai N.A. headquarters building in So.
>Calif.
>
>Del

Hi Del,

I also think the best Steinway D I've ever heard was the Shigeru Kawai at
the PTG convention in Kansas City last year!

I think that you meant to say "concert grand" where you wrote "Steinway
D"!  Aren't you glad I pointed this out in front of 600 people
online!   :-)  This is meant to be a joke!

Now here is my top ten list of pianos, limited to pianos I have actually
tuned and serviced.

Yamaha CFIIIS
Steinway D
Steinway B
Yamaha C7
Kawai KG-7D
Yamaha U3  (yes - one of my favorite pianos of all time is in a practice room)
Yamaha C3
Baldwin SD
Kawai RX-2
Baldwin F

If I expanded the list to include pianos I have played on, I would include
these pianos:
Shigeru Kawai EX
Schimmel (several different models)
Fazioli (large grand)
Seiler
Fandrich upright
Sauter
Steingraeber & Sohne

The above pianos I have played at PTG conventions.  It is hard to hear when
you have 15 people playing the piano all at once!

Sincerely,
David Vanderhoofven