Vent time

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Mon, 03 Mar 2003 18:43:42 -0500

Friends,

My second call this morning ruined part of my day.  I went in and did my
initial quick assessment on a 1980 K & C spinet.  Needs a pitchraise and
tune, adjust letoff button on one blocking hammer, move several hammers
hanging up on their neighbors, that should do it.  And I gave her a
price.  Except....

I found out this is one of those little spinets where you can't reach
the hammer flange screws well from either above or beneath, but I
managed by taking out a few keys to get the clearance I needed.  Went to
adjust the letoff button screw and got a surprise; the thing had no
threads!  Now that's something I never saw before, and apparently it's
been that way from new.  Some previous tech tried to get it to stay in
place with glue.  Did you ever try to put a new letoff screw and button
in a service-unfriendly spinet with the action in the piano?  I was
thinking some pretty dark thoughts!

And lastly, a peppy little dachshund enjoyed shattering my nerves with
its shrill barking from time to time.  She also took the liberty to
sneak my earplugs in their little plastic box out of my toolbox while
neither the customer nor I were looking, made herself comfortable on the
couch, chewed the box open and ate one earplug.  Nice ones they were,
too, from Pianotek.

Fortunately I don't have many days like this.  I'll have to reschedule
one piano for lack of time.  One day per year like this is quite enough,
thank you!  Did I ask her if she wanted me to call about tuning next
year?  Hardly!  I'm not a glutton for punishment!

Hoping for a better tomorrow,
Clyde