Dealer with imagination

Dave Davis davistunes@yahoo.com
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 20:51:07 -0800 (PST)

List,

I've been doing some work for a small piano dealer for
several months.  I've questioned some of his business
attitudes, but today takes the cake.

I showed up at his customer's house to tune a gray
market C3.  Customer is educated about the gray
markets and was willing to take a chance, but had an
interesting question for me.  It seems that when he
was looking at the piano in the store, the keyfronts
were yellow.  He wanted that fixed, so the dealer
swapped actions with another C3 in the store.

I was amazed to find that it actually played pretty
well.  The key frame wasn't even close to being
bedded, and the una corda wasn't quite shifting
enough, and the hammer line was high & low all the way
through,and the keys weren't level, but other than
that it was actually somewhat functional.

I called the dealer and suggested that he should have
it regulated to the piano.  His response was quite
negative.  That makes it easy for me to not do any
more work for him.

Is it a common thing to swap actions or am I just
being too critical?

Dave Davis
Renton, WA

p.s.  tuning pins were tight, no soundboard cracks,
nice piano...so far.