top ten pianos

Mon, 3 Mar 2003 21:21:20 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vanderhoofven" <dkvander@joplin.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: March 03, 2003 2:51 PM
Subject: Re: top ten pianos

> At 01:00 PM 3/3/03, Del Fandrich wrote:
>
> <Big snip!>
> >By far the best Steinway D I've ever seen and heard was the Shigeru Kawai
> >concert grand I encountered at the Kawai N.A. headquarters building in
So.
> >Calif.
> >
> >Del
>
> Hi Del,
>
> I also think the best Steinway D I've ever heard was the Shigeru Kawai at
> the PTG convention in Kansas City last year!
>
> I think that you meant to say "concert grand" where you wrote "Steinway
> D"!  Aren't you glad I pointed this out in front of 600 people
> online!   :-)  This is meant to be a joke!

Hi Dave,

No, actually, I didn't--I meant to write just what I did write. And, yes,
there was a joke in there, a perhaps overly subtle attempt at some designer
humor. The fundamental design of the "modern concert grand" is so very
generic--with the exception of a couple of European instruments they are all
essentially clones of the original Steinway D design--that I've long ago
given up trying to discern any substantive design differences among them.
And of all of these the Shigeru Kawai brings the various elements of this
generic "modern concert grand" design together exceptionally well, providing
more shear musicality than any of the others that I've encountered in some
time, including the original.

My comment about wanting to see a "modern concert grand" was a plea about
wanting to see a modern concert grand of modern design on the market someday
before I leave the scene.

Del