Bad day!

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 15:29:56 EST

In a message dated 3/4/03 9:22:41 AM, lclgcnp@yahoo.com writes:

>No, I'm quite certain that my very lovable little
>sister was being very friendly to it, and I am deeply
>insulted that you would insinuate that a vicious
>attack by this animal, which disfigured my sister's
>face, was somehow her fault!

I don't think I insinuated anything of the kind.  This incident with your
sister and the dog is certainly an unfortunate one.  She has my sympathies,
and I certainly did not mean to insult you.  Please accept my apologies if it
seemed that way.

To try to say it another way, familiarity with dogs brings with it the
ability to "read" their body language.  A dog which is about to bite will
exhibit certain postures which can be easily interpreted.  Now this
unfortunate incident occurred a long time ago.  At the time, I'm sure it
seemed unprovoked, and indeed I'm sure your sister did nothing specifically
to bring it on.  However, her inability to understand what the dog was
"telling her" through his body posture put her in a position to be bitten.

It is sad that you have carried this misunderstanding about one of the great
animals on this earth throughout your life.  Recent scientific studies have
shown that dogs understand humans and can communicate with humans much better
than any other species on the planet. The bond between man and dog is a
strong and gratifying one.

As I write this, my dog Banjo lies at my feet.  I'll always have a dog, as
long as I live.  I don't ever want to be without one.

Tom S