Old German Piaon

Steve Martin smartin@dodo.com.au
Wed, 05 Mar 2003 03:31:38 -0000

I've just partially reatored an old German UR and would love some =
feedback from anyone who knows more than I do on the subject of the =
finer points of regulation regarding these pianos!

The job was fairly basic. New dampers, tapes, etc. I regulated it to =
what I thought was a fair standard. Key height 20mm. drop 10.5mm, blow =
47mm, setoff 3mm, dampers begin the travel half way thru' the blow, Key =
mortices are OK. But the touch of the piano is far too heavy! The keys =
are weighted and feel quite heavy when moved on the balance rail without =
action weight. Would removing the weights be detrimental to the touch or =
would it softten the touch without hindering their return to the =
backtouch?? Should the setoff be a little more than 3mm?

I'd be glad for any info.

Regards,

Steve Martin
Townsville, Nth Qld.