Conover 88

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 22:53:54 -0800 (PST)

A Conover "88" is a 6'2" grand of impeccable quality.
Mine (1918) had little brass rollers in the keyblocks
for the keyframe shift tabs to roll on, and an 8"
thick bass side inner rim (or thereabouts)!
    Even with the hammers worn utterly flat, it had an
impressive sound! Very much like an M&H....and there's
a reason: Conovers were ( so I've been told ) designed
by Gerts, who also designed the Masons we all love.
Great home piano!
     Thump

P.S.: The "77" is a 5'8", the "99" is a 7'4". They are
generally the BEST unrestored piano buy, IMHO, because
few realize how fine they are, and sell for less.