what's with the new temperaments?(x post)

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 09:36:30 -0600

Ed says......
>    Once again, the Broadwood tuning is not ET by any modern
>definition, nor  my own, nor the Guilds expectations.

Once again I wish you would name your source for what you call
"Broadwood tuning" and post the offsets you used for a
"Broadwood's".

>With C, F and G 5 cents sharper, the A# up 4 cents, D and D# up 3
>cents, E down 2 cents,etc.  This isn't anywhere near equal.  the
C-E is >only 7 cents away from Just, there are three thirds that
are 18 cents >wide, etc.  No, this is profoundly different from
ET.

Hmmmm I don't know where you got your figures but they are
profoundly different from Ellis's measurements of 3 of Broadwood's
best tuners and another one of  "My own piano tuned by one of
Broadwood's usual tuners, let stand unused for a fortnight."
    The best (line 5 ) came with in one cent for 10 of the 12
intervals, and  his worst "error" was making the starting 5th C--G
flat by 4 cents.
and F# came out 2 cents flat.  Would that tuning pass the Guild
test today?   What would the score be?

>    I am sorry that Ric can't hear the differences in the
temperaments, ...but those
> that naysay ....To them, I can be of no use or  help.
> Regards,
> Ed Foote RPT

I am sorry an honest admission has elicited a name calling
response.  Are people who are tone deaf and color blind  to be
type cast as "naysayers" also?
More importantly, can you prove that you can "certainly hear a
difference"?   Until then,  what are you but one of us with your
naysay being against ET?

You are welcome to show how you can tell the difference but may I
suggest a test?   You bring 3 CD's or as many as you like of HT's
that you think "sound better" and I will bring 3 CDs or as many as
you bring of what I think are good sounding ET's and then if you
can pick out your examples from mine, I will believe that at least
one person has the ability to hear the difference.       ---rm