Bechstein upright

Duplexdan@aol.com Duplexdan@aol.com
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 18:52:57 EST

Bob,

About your Bechstein: I am rebuilding one of about the same vintage and I
have had to do a lot of work on the board and bridges. Fortunately the pin
block still seems OK It had 2/0's and even a 3/0 seems to be tight. But
considering other pianos of similar vintage of all categories I am inclined
to think that the innate comparative value of that instrument in its present
condition warrants the quote. My guess is that if it works acceptably and has
a decent tone in some areas that with a little filing you could put it into
working shape the price compared to the market price,   a new upright would
be about the amount your seller is quoting.

I think the best advice I could give would be to ascertain if there is a
buyer who really wants a Bechstein. From the seller's point of view I think
market would put this piano about $1000. if it is in working shape. I have
seen 90 year old pianos that have no board or bridge cracks but they are very
rare.

Don't mean to discourage your seller but from a New York point of view this
is how I see it. Of course I'm only one technician from NY.

Best of luck,

Dan Franklin