verrry interesting!! :-)

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 22:29:24 EST

We have often spoken of plate stress and how it is transferred to other
sections/notes as a string(s) broke or were loosened. I have never seen a
better example than the little Apollo grand I am removing the strings
from.......
The bass strings are out and I was in the process of removing tension from
the tenor section.....when 'pong''' a string broke in the octave 5/6
section!! as I kept removing tension from the tenor, strings kept popping in
the 5/6 area...a total of six altogether
 As I was relieving tension in the 5/6 area the strings in the top section
6/7/8 starting breaking also !!
 Now the strings that broke were all kinda really rusty and broke fairly
easily but I thought it was a perfect example of plate stress and stress
transferance............
I have never had this happen to me before.

Jim Bryant (FL)
p.s. the plate is a full perimeter plate.