Gram Weights

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Wed, 05 Mar 2003 20:17:13 -0800

At 04:40 AM 3/6/2003 +0100, Ric B wrote:
>Actually,,,, its really easy to make a great set for yourself with a bit of
>copper tubing splicers, some extra key leads, and a nice chunk of wood to use
>as a home for them.

I was all excited by a little minilathe I had just bought. I took a bar of
copper, hacksawed rough lengths, turned them to neaten them up, weighed
them with a postal scale and a baggy to get them just over the right
weights, and then took the lathe to a community college chem lab and used a
digital scale to get them accurate to a tenth of a gram. Then I stamped the
weights on them. They live in an old Sucrets tin with a rubber band around it.

I chose to duplicate Bill Spurlock's assortment. If I had just bought his
set, I probably would have saved money ... but it was fun. After all, one
has to TRY to justify the tool-acquisition itch.

Susan