what's with the new temperaments?(x post)

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 00:29:49 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 4:05 PM
Subject: Re: what's with the new temperaments?(x post)

Ric Moody
> declares he cant hear temperaments or beating of intervals while
playing.

If I said I can't hear the "beating of intervals while playing" I
invite you to quote me.   If there is a "mistake" (in the tuning)
and the interval is so far from what I am used to, I sometimes can
hear it , especially if I am listening for it while playing.  But
I can tune a piano in Pythagorean and play something that I bet
you can't hear the difference.
    But really how much do you listen to what you are playing?
For phrasing, for dynamics, for shading, for rubato, for legato,
for mistakes?
Oh I didn't even get to tuning.....   While listening to tuning
when you are playing, what do you notice first, unisons, treble
octaves, bass octaves, octaves + 5ths;  triads, if so in what
position?
 ----rm

    "Its all relative"