Gram Weights

Blaine Hebert blaine.hebert@att.net
Thu, 06 Mar 2003 00:00:32 -0800

Ric,

Actually it would be closer to +- 2.5 grams.  I don't doubt that an
experienced pianist could tell the touch difference between two notes
with less than one gram difference, but in an entire piano, or comparing
two pianos my system is "adequate".  For a fine instrument I get out a
well calibrated set of gram weights and do it right.  But I get much
more mileage from my nickels and I can recommend it to a piano teacher
or musician hunting for an instrument or trying to understand touch.

Blaine Hebert

blaine.hebert@att.net wrote:

> I put away my set of gram weights because they were somewhat
incomprehensible.
> Instead of the weights I now use a stack of nickels.  It seems that
the US
> government did something right when they designed the US nickel to
weigh
> exactly 5 grams.  50 cents weighs 50 grams.
>
> Nickels are much less intimidating to customers and I doubt that
anyone can
> reliably tell the difference between +- 5 grams.

You would doubt incorrectly. This is pretty well documented. It begins
to get ify
a lot closer to +/- 1 gram.

RicB