Dogs and pianos--- just responding to Susan. Hope this is the last.

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Thu, 06 Mar 2003 00:36:13 -0800

Hi, Gordon --

A little philosophizing about hazards, the world, immune systems, etc.

The world is and always has been a dangerous place, and the way human
beings adapt to all the various dangers is mainly by compromise and
accommodation. We starved in the ice ages -- so now we fatten. We adapted
to parasites (omnipresent) so now that we don't have them we tend to
accumulate too much iron and we have more allergies. Filth, microbes,
animal droppings -- which of us would be here if our ancestors couldn't
cope with such things?

In our present very quickly changing, crowded, and unbalancing environment,
some of us hyper-react to different things. Thump, if you can't handle
common microbes and animal byproducts, then you should stay away from them,
of course. Only, please don't destroy unique, irreplaceable,
wonderful-sounding pianos because of a need to imagine that your own
problems are universal. Also, if you can't sanitize these pianos now,
please don't assume that no one else will ever be able to. Everything
changes, and people are always finding out new ways to do things.

This doesn't mean that you should sell smelly pianos to people who may be
petless because they are as sensitive and allergic as you are. Only please
don't assume that it is your duty to remove them from the earth. There
aren't many wonderful old Packard grands out there, and it pains me to
imagine that there might be one less because of someone's fear of dog dirt.
And Packard isn't going to make any more of them.

End of rant ...

Susan