FW: tub-thumper: M-W's Word of the Day

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@attbi.com
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 01:59:42 -0500

Timely Huh?

            `Tom Driscoll

  <http://www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/images/wotdemail_head.gif>

  <http://www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/images/wotdemail_pic.gif>

  <http://www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/images/webster_wotdemail_nav.gif>

 <http://www.merriam-webster.com>

 <http://www.merriam-webster.com/game/>

 <http://www.wordcentral.com>

 <http://www.merriam-websterunabridged.com>

  <http://www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/images/wod_underlink_filler.gif>

  <http://www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/images/webster_haveasay_wide.gif>

  In my free time, besides sending e-mail, when I'm online I'm most
likely...

Catching up on the news

Chatting with friends

Making travel reservations

Playing games

Using a search engine

The Word of the Day for Mar 07 is:

tub-thumper \TUB-thum-per\ (noun)

: a vociferous supporter (as of a cause)

 <http://www.merriam-webster.com/sound/t/tubthu01.wav>

Example sentence:
Aunt Lucille was a tub-thumper for temperance who never passed up an
opportunity to sermonize fervently on the evils of "demon drink" and the
virtues of abstinence.

Did you know?
Tub-thumpers are a noisy (and sometimes amusing) lot. The earliest ones
were preachers or public speakers with a predisposition for pounding
their fists on the pulpit or speaker's podium - perhaps to wake up their
listeners! Back in the 17th century, the word "tub" was sometimes used
as a synonym of "pulpit"; John Dryden, for example, used the word thus
in 1680 when he wrote, "Jack Presbyter shall here erect his throne,
Knock out a tub with preaching once a day." "Tub-thumper" has been
naming loud, impassioned speakers since at least 1662, when it was used
by a writer named Hugh Foulis to describe "a sort of people ... antick
in their Devotions."

*Indicates the sense illustrated in the example sentence.

<http://www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/redirector.iphtml?item=782&url=http
%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eentspire%2Ecom%2Fderivation%2FI=http://www.startsampling.
com/sm/wod/images/782_r3c2.gif&r3c2=782_r3c2.gif>

  _____

Subscribe to or unsubscribe from Word of the Day via the Web: click here
<http://www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/register.iphtml>
To change the email format from html to text: click
<http://www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/changeofaddress.iphtml>  here

Questions about your subscription? click here
<http://www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/faq.html>

C 2003 by Merriam-Webster <http://www.Merriam-Webster.com> ,
Incorporated

<http://www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/redirector.iphtml?item=782&url=http
%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emerriam%2Dwebster%2Ecom%2Fgame%2FI=http://www.startsampli
ng.com/sm/wod/images/782_r1c3.gif&r1c3=782_r1c3.gif>

  _____

Immerse yourself in the fascinating world of the English language.
Subscribe to Merriam-Webster Unabridged today! click
<http://www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/redirector.iphtml?html=1&item=782&u
rl=http://www.merriam-webster.com/unabridged/>  here

  _____

<http://www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/redirector.iphtml?item=782&url=http
%3A%2F%2Fstore%2Ebritannica%2Ecom%2Fescalate%2Fstore%2FDetailPage%3Fpls%
3Dbritannica%26bc%3Dbritannica%26pc%3D03ALMANAC%26startNum%3D0%26rangeNu
m%3D15%26pls0affiliate%5Fid%3Dadtracking%26pls1adtracking%3DMWWODALMANAC
I=http://www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/images/782_r2c3.gif&r2c3=782_r2c3.
gif>

<http://www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/redirector.iphtml?item=782&url=http
%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eemode%2Ecom%2Fforward%3Fsid%3D985%26test%3DuiqogtI=http:/
/www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/images/782_r3c3.gif&r3c3=782_r3c3.gif>

<http://www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/redirector.iphtml?item=782I=http://
www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/images/pixel.gif&email_open=1>

If you cannot read this email, please copy and paste the following
address into your web browser to subscribe to the text version of the
Merriam-Webster Word of the Day:
http://www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/changeofaddress.iphtml