Key leveling

draine@attbi.com draine@attbi.com
Fri, 07 Mar 2003 13:12:36 +0000

Clyde,
Do you have a copy of the PTG curriculum to vertical regulation? I don't have
it handy but it should be covered pretty well in there.
Meanwhile ... do you have a good straightedge? If not go to a large hardware
store and buy some aluminum channel stock (I think that's the term) of
appropriate length. If you get a light weight piece, and if the end keys are
very close to spec you can just drop it on the keys and eyeball the
appropriate paper punchings to add.Of course you should (nearly) eliminate all
lost motion bnefore you get to work.
Preferably one should block up the end keys (cardboard punchings) to the exact
height. Punchings should be about half the thickness of the gap between the
straightedge and the keytop.Rough it out quickly, then repeat. Reduce
punchings if they're pushing the straightedge above the target height. Repeat
again. You're done.
Perhaps this isn't as fast as Carl Meyer's method but the advantage is you can
start the job today!
Patrick Draine