Broadwood Best

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 09:22:54 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Vanderhoofven <dkvander@joplin.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 12:52 PM
Subject: Re: Broadwood Best

If
> you come to the Central West Regional in a few weeks, bring your
copy of
> Helmholtz and other things you think I should read, and I will
bring
> Jorgensen and we can have a good discussion

> Ric, I just checked the cents offsets on the web page compared
to the cents
> offsets in Owen Jorgensen's Big Red book "Tuning", and they are
the
> same.  Also, they are given as whole numbers in the book and on
the web page.

> Compare Jorgensen page 558 with the cents offsets on Jason
Kanter's web
> page for the Broadwood's Best and they are the same.
>
> Compare Jorgensen page 551 with the cents offsets on Jason
Kaneter's web
> page for the Broadwood's Usual, and they are the same.

>If
> you come to the Central West Regional in a few weeks, bring
>your copy of
> Helmholtz and other things you think I should read, and I will
bring
> Jorgensen and we can have a good discussion

Yes then compare the source, which should be the Ellis appendices
in his translation of Herman Helmholtz, _Sensation of Tone_.
page 485 .
MY copy came from either PianoTech or   Schaff at the Reno
Convention to replace a copy I lost 17  years ago.   Less than $25
This book is in most large town and college librarires.  I am not
advocating using the copier to avoid buying the book but if you
copy page 485 enlarged you will be glad to mark it with
highlighters and make notes in the margin, something that is
unessary to do  to a book.

    I am tempted to attend Central West, but haven't decided  yet.
Its a budget issue right now.        ---rm

> >      The "best" is said to come from "line 4 "   Actually if
you
> >look at the original source which is Ellis appendices in
> >Helmholtz, the best tuning or the one closest to ET comes from
> >line  5 .  So why wasn't that used?
>
> Good Question.  I don't know.  I haven't read Helmholtz or any
of Ellis'
> original source material.  I am relying on Jorgensen, who relied
on the
> original source materials.
>
> It is interesting that on Jason Kanter's web page under
Quasi-Equal
> tunings, there are two by Ellis and one by Broadwood.  The two
Ellis
> Quasi-Equal tunings would be virtually indistinguishable from
Equal
> Temperament.  The Broadwood Quasi-Equal tuning is pretty close,
but is not
> Equal.  However, many musicians would never hear the difference
(my opinion).

> Good Question.  Why wasn't the Quasi-Equal tuning used?  I don't
know.  My
> answer is that the Quasi-Equal tunings removed too much key
color, so
> musicians preferred the style of tuning such as the Broadwood
Best or the
> Broadwood Usual.  Of course, I am speculating here, as I really
don't know.

> >     However looking at the original line four from Ellis,  it
> >appears the web site is much further from Ellis than #4 was
from
> >ET.  So the only conclusion can be that some one is mistaken or
> >relying on a source too far away from the original which is
Ellis'