Yamaha U1 regulation problem

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 23:19:09 +0100

The hammers need to drop (a little as for a grand), if they don't
clearly the jack is not leaving the leather enough.

I'd add enough lost motion to help, but not enought to be felt as lost
motion. Tap lightly on the key with the handle of the tool to reset
the jack and test by feel/looking at the jack's move against leather.
I suspect the proble comes from the rebound of the key on the key rest
felt that is bouncy.

The touch (and the tone) is very fair with the largest lost motion
accepted, you have to stay consistent in the sensation, so it may be
adviseable to check with a very light touch the sensation of the jack
contact.

Then the action is free to reapeat at any speed. Letoff may be larger
too (-particularely if a muffler is present).

When you play frankly the notes if the action is working smooth that
can be heard in the tone. If not enough lost motion, more attack but
constrained tone too (thin).

Use the catchers to regulate the strenght of the tone.

Hope that helps

 need to

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.