Putting bass strings back on

Steve Borgstrom orchman@attbi.com
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 20:18:19 -0600

I repaired a crack in the bass bridge apron on the piano shaped object
I currently own. 1st one ever for me, went ok with a little help from
an RPT friend (my teacher). Was able to do it only removing 8 strings,
whooo hooo!

My buddy left, I left the piano on the tilter overnight to dry. Put the
strings back on and remembered seeing somewhere that you are supposed
to twist the bass strings to keep the copper from rattling. I went 1 &
1/2 twists on each string and got it back together, put the action back
in and started in tuning.

Got to the three lowest strings I had removed, F#1, G1 and Ab1. Tried
to bring them up to pitch and they sounded awful, muffled, just what I
thought the twisting was supposed to eliminate. Well, I loosened them,
took them off, let them go where they wanted to, metal memory speaking,
and reattached them. Tuned them up and they sounded just like the other
strings around them.

My question is, what is this phenomenon? What causes it and how does
one know how much if any twist to put in when putting them on the hitch
pins?

Thanks all!

Steve Borgstrom
Brooklyn Park, MN