Epoxy Man Strikes Again

Fri, 7 Mar 2003 22:20:29 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: March 07, 2003 2:48 PM
Subject: Re: Epoxy Man Strikes Again

> 2. Somehow, It ended up in the wrong place. No time to figure why, but
> it needs to be fixed and cold hide glue is thermoplasty and water soluble.
>
> Ouch, that smarts! Hmmmm. I see your point, but how hard is it to make a
new soundboard? I guess I would just say measure twice, attach once.

I'm not sure just how this works together with my philosophy of, "Measure
twice, cut once--then fix it with epoxy...."

> 4. Tone killer, as reported by a friend who used epoxy glue for a bridge
(as an adhesive).

> Hmmm. Anyone know anything about this? Or is this an offshoot of the
"circle of sound" theory?

I'd not worry overly much about this one. If you're worried about the
rigidity of the epoxy--and I can't think of any reason why you should
be--then mix some colloidal silica in there. I wouldn't, but you could. I'd
add a bit of wood flour from our stroke sander, though. Just as a filler and
a binder. I always like to see a bit of fibrous filler in there to toughen
things up just a bit.

> I have never glued a bridge to a board. I will be doing so soon. I know
that you need good even clamping pressure when using hide glue or Titebond.
I have fear that I won't get good pressure everywhere. Epoxy would eliminate
that concern. Anyone in the mood to convince me that I will get a good bond
by running a few screws through the board back into the bridge? Or convince
me epoxy is not a good choice - haven't seen good evidence yet!

Technically you should have a good enough fit that Titebond should do it.
Having said that, I see nothing wrong with epoxy. I've also used it in a
pinch. In this case you probably have enough other things to worry
about--use what you're comfortable with and sleep well.

Del