What hammers, juicing method do you recommend, please? (Seriousquestion)

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 17:20:38 +0100

Before laquering, you could try to see if adding a little weight to
the heads an help to gibve some body in the tone.

Check also if the strike line is not too low, higher than a4 less than
1/8 is usual (tapering to 1/20 or so).

And if you voiced just recently the heads, you can assume that with
time and under playing they will get a lot of brillance naturally,
dryness of the air stiffen the felt, use a hairdrier to have an idea
of what you will have.

I'd try to evaluate the tone with some other heads, plucking the
strings, as when laquered the quality you gain in one direction is
always lost in some other.

If overneedling have produce a "hole" in the shoulders and that is
affecting the global energy, only stiffening the deficient part may be
enough.

But if a hammer lacks power, laquering it don't add it much, it only
help to obtain more rebound, but the deepness of the tone will always
miss, (-the tone will stay straight) so if possible to wait to have it
back naturally I believe it is always better.

The laquered tone quality as very acceptable in the high treble, will
oblige you to modify the whole voicing if you begin with it in the 5e
octave BMO.

So all depends of what the instrument allows, and what you like to
hear.

Best regards

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.