Key leveling

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 01:03:55 +0100

Jara's tool assume the keybed is perfect and it is not the case
mostly.

I don't like the precision of this tool anyway (poor)

Second, better learn to do a good job with simple tools as a rule. It
is perfectly feasible to level a keyboard with a little metal or
wooden rule, sensitive fingers, and not even necessary to stand
sitting at key height.

Anyway that's how I do it in customer's places.

Tap lightly for the too high, use your fingers for the too low, tap
them up too, check with the low end. Always straighten the keys as you
go tapping the balance pin with your rule's end, and space them nicely
(with the spacing tool), so your job will be accurate. always tap the
keys in place, shim the balance rail the best you can for a vertical
A flashlight is useful too.
. From scratch, the best is to put the same 3 or 4 punching everywhere
and work from there, so if some irregularity appears you may look for
it's reason eventually.

Many of these jobs you find a good method if you imagine that you
don't see (and you don't really if you are not level on the keys)

And please don't use an orbital sander to clean the sides, you'll end
with rounded keys, look old and awful (and large gaps between them
too)

Best Luck

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.